SVUSD strongly believes in the educational value of electronic services and recognizes the potential of such to support our curriculum and student learning in our district. Our goal in providing this service is to promote educational excellence by facilitating resource sharing, innovation, and communication. SVUSD will make every effort to protect students and teachers from any misuses or abuses as a result of their experiences with an information service. All users must be continuously on guard to avoid inappropriate and illegal interaction with the information service.
Please read this document carefully. When signed by you and your guardian/parent, it becomes a legally binding contract. You must have a contract on file each year to be issued a user account.
Listed below are the provisions of this contract. If any user violates these provisions, access to the information service may be denied and you may be subject to disciplinary action.
Terms and Conditions of This Contract
1. Personal Responsibility. As a representative of this school, I will accept personal responsibility for reporting any misuse of the network to the system administrator. Misuse can come in many forms, but it is commonly viewed as any message(s) sent or received that indicate or suggest pornography, unethical or illegal solicitation, racism, sexism, inappropriate language, and other issues described below. All the rules of acceptable use described in this contract apply when using the school technology, and personal electronic devices while on school grounds.
2. Acceptable Use. The use of my assigned account must be in support of education and research and within the educational goals and objectives of SVUSD. I am personally responsible for this provision at all times when using the electronic information service.
a. Use of other organization's networks or computing resources must comply with rules appropriate to that network.
b. Transmission or receipt of any material in violation of any United States or other state organization is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to copyrighted material, threatening or obscene material, or material protected by trade secret.
c. Use of commercial activities by for-profit institutions is not acceptable.
d. Use of product advertisement or political lobbying is also prohibited.
I am aware that the inappropriate use of electronic information resources can be a violation of local, state and federal laws and that I can be prosecuted for violating those laws.
3. Privileges. The use of the information system is a privilege, not a right, and inappropriate use will result in a cancellation of those privileges. The SVUSD system administrator (operating under the aegis of the school board and the district office) will decide what is appropriate use and their decision is final. The SVUSD system administrator(s) may close an account at any time deemed necessary. The administration, staff, or faculty of SVUSD may request that the system administrator deny, revoke, or suspend specific user accounts.
4. Network Etiquette and Privacy. You are expected to abide by the generally accepted rules of network etiquette when using school technology resources and personal electronic devices on campus. These rules include (but are not limited to) the following:
a. Be Polite. Never send, or encourage others to send, abusive messages.
b. Use Appropriate Language. Remember that you are a representative of our school and district on a non-private system. You may be alone with your computer, but what you say and do can be viewed globally! Never swear, use vulgarities, or any other inappropriate language.
c. Privacy. Do not reveal your home address or personal phone number or the addresses and phone numbers of students or colleagues.
d. Electronic Mail. Electronic mail (e-mail) is not guaranteed to be private. Messages relating to or in support of illegal activities must be reported to the authorities.
e. Disruptions. Do not use the network in any way that would disrupt use of the network by others.
f. Illegal activities of any kind are strictly forbidden.
g. Other Considerations:
- Do be brief. Fewer people will bother to read a long message
- Do minimize spelling errors and make sure your message is easy to understand
- Do use accurate and descriptive titles for your messages. Tell people what it is about before they read it
- Do get the most appropriate audience for your message, not the widest
- Do remember that humor and satire is very often misinterpreted
- Do remember that if you post to multiple groups, specify all groups in a single message
- Do cite references for any facts you utilize or include in your work
- Do forgive the spelling and grammar errors of others
- Do keep messages brief
- Do remember that all network users are human beings. Don't "attack" correspondents; persuade them with facts
- Do post only to groups you know
5. Services. SVUSD makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, for the service it is providing. SVUSD will not be responsible for any damages suffered while on this system. These damages include loss of data as a result of delays, non-deliveries, mistakes in deliveries, or service interruptions caused by the system or your errors or omissions. Use of any information obtained via the information system is at your own risk. SVUSD specifically disclaims any responsibility for the accuracy of information obtained through its services.
6. Security. Security on any computer system is a high priority because there are so many users. If you identify a security problem, you are required to notify the system administrator at once. Never demonstrate the problem to other users. All use of the system must be under your own account. Any user identified as a security risk will be denied access to the information system.
7. Vandalism. Vandalism is defined as any malicious attempt to harm or destroy data belonging to another user or any other agencies or networks that are connected to the system, as well as destroying computers or other electronic school property. This includes, but is not limited to, the uploading or creation of computer viruses. Any vandalism will result in the loss of computer services, disciplinary action, and legal referral.
8. Updating. The information service may occasionally require new registration and account information from you to continue the service. You must notify the information system of any changes in your account information.
9. Filters SVUSD contracts with the county to provide a CIPA (Children’s Internet Protection Act) approved internet filter. Parents and guardians must be aware that content filtering tools are not completely fail-safe and while at school, direct supervision by school personnel of each student using a computer is desired, but not always possible. Students are expected to use technology resources in a manner consistent with the rules and will be held responsible for their intentional misuse, including bypassing the filter.
Scotts Valley Unified
Electronic Information Resource Contract: SVMS/SVHS
Please return this page. Keep the terms and conditions for your records.
I understand and will abide by the provisions and conditions of this contract. I understand that any violations of the above provisions may result in disciplinary action, the revoking of my user account, and appropriate legal action. I also agree to report any misuse of the information system to the SVUSD system administrator. Misuse can come in many forms, but can be viewed as any messages sent or received that indicate or suggest pornography, unethical or illegal solicitation, racism, sexism, inappropriate language, and other issues described above.
_________________________ _______________________ ___________ _______________________
Student Last Name First Name Middle Signature
Student's personal email address____________________________
PARENT OR GUARDIAN - Students under the age of 18 must also have the signature of a parent or guardian who has read this contract.
As the parent or guardian of this student, I have read this contract and understand that it is designed for education purposes. I understand that it is impossible for SVUSD to restrict access to all controversial materials, and I will not hold the District responsible for materials acquired on the network. I also agree to report any misuse of the information system to the SVUSD system administrator. Misuse can come in many forms, but can be viewed as any messages sent or received that indicate or suggest pornography, unethical or illegal solicitation, racism, sexism, inappropriate language, and other issues described above.
I accept full responsibility for supervision if and when my child's use is not in a school setting. I hereby give my permission to issue an account for my child and certify that the information contained on this form is correct.
Parent or Guardian Name (please print) _____________________________________________
Signature __________________________________ Date ________________________
Parent email address____________________________ ____________________________